In this course, you'll learn the most common disciplines and methodologies used to create and present a business case with clear, concise, and fact-based arguments that highlight project benefits, costs, and risks to win approval for projects. You'll learn the underlying structure and content of a business case as well as the role your audience plays in the development of it. Further, you'll learn basic techniques for determining financial ROI, non-tangible benefits, and the probability of meeting expectations.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
1. Business Case Process
- "Business case" defined
- The business case and system life-cycle decisions
- The business analysts' role in the business case process
- Competition for funds
- Understanding the organizational need
2. Defining the Business Case Problem
- Identifying problem/opportunity
- Problem statement
- Product vision
- Objectives and constraints
3. Exploring Business Case Solutions
- Measure the benefits of alternatives vs. the business objectives
- Testing identified solutions for feasibility
- Analyzing solution definitions
- Assessing project risks
4. Creating The Business Case
- The "ideal" business case
- Business case structure/components/benefits
- Executive summaries
- Adding value with powerful objective statements
5. Financial Metrics
- Governance: What you need to know
- Business alignment
- Accounting/financial principles
- Summarize the risks and ROI
- Cost of ownership
6. Presenting the Business Case
- Explain the business problem
- Show the change expectations
- Discuss how and why the "viable alternatives" were selected
- Understand hot topics and pain points of your audience
- Key elements of a business case document and presentation
- How to justify the investment to solve a business problem in a clear, concise, fact-based manner
- Basic financial metrics used within a business case, including feasibility studies and ROI analyses
- Ways to improve the odds of project approval
- Steps to prove your recommendation is "best"
- A step-by-step development process to create a business case
Business analysts, project managers, anyone who establishes business cases, and anyone who provides business justification for projects.
Company Event Schedule
Looking for onsite training?
We can deliver standard or tailored courses to your requirements to be delivered as closed company events at your location or ours, whichever suits you and your employees.