In this course students will learn essential programming skills and techniques that are required to develop Windows Store apps. This includes a combination of both design and development skills, as well as ensuring that students are comfortable using and making the most of the Visual Studio and Expression Blend tools.
- 1 or more years of experience creating applications.
- 1–3 months experience creating Windows client applications.
- 1–3 months experience using Visual Studio 2010 or 2012.
Module 1: Overview of the Windows 8 Platform and Windows Store Apps
- Introduction to the Windows 8 Platform
- Windows 8 User Interface Principles
- WinRT and Language Projections
Module 2: Creating User Interfaces using XAML
- XAML Basics
- XAML Code-Behind
- Advanced XAML
Module 3: Presenting Data
- Working with Data Presentation Controls
- The GridView Control
Module 4: Implementing Layout using Windows 8 Built-In Controls
- WinRT Controls
- AppBar Control
- Snapped and Fill
Module 5: Handling Files in Windows Store Apps
- Handling Files and Streams in Windows Store Apps
- Working with File User Interface Components
Module 6: Windows Store App Process Lifetime Management
- Process Lifetime Management
- Launching Windows Store Apps
- Implementing a State Management Strategy
Module 7: Working with Resources, Styles, and Templates
- Creating Shared Resources
- Creating Styles and Templates
Module 8: Designing and Implementing Navigation in a Windows Store App
- Handling Navigation in Windows Store Apps
- Semantic Zoom
Module 9: Implementing Windows 8 Contracts
- Designing for Charms and Contracts
- The Search Contract
- The Share Contract
- Managing App Settings and Preferences
Module 10: Implementing Tiles and User Notifications
- Implementing Tiles, Live Tiles, Secondary Tiles and Badge Notifications
- Implementing Toast Notifications
Module 11: Designing and Implementing a Data Access Strategy
- Evaluating Data Access Strategies
- Working with Remote Data
Module 12: Responding to Mouse and Touch
- Working with Mouse Events
- Working with Gesture Events
Module 13: Planning for Windows Store App Deployment
- The Windows Store App Manifest
- Windows Store App Certification
- Enterprise App Deployment
- Describe review the Windows 8 platform and features, and explore the basics of a Windows app interface.
- Create the User Interface layout and structure by using XAML.
- Use data binding to present data in the UI.
- Implement the AppBar and layout controls.
- Handle files and streams.
- Respond to application lifecycle events using Process Lifetime Management and the PLM extensibility points provided by the Visual Studio 2012 templates.
- Use templates to create the UI.
- Handle navigation scenarios in a Windows Store app.
- Design and implement contracts such as Search, Share and Settings.
- Implement tiles and toast notifications in a Windows Store app.
- Respond to mouse, keyboard and touch events, including gestures.
- Deploy a Windows Store app to the Windows Store or an enterprise store.
This course is intended for professional developers who have 1-2 years of experience creating client applications and who are comfortable programming in C# and have done some XAML-based programming.
Company Event Schedule
Looking for onsite training?
We can deliver standard or tailored courses to your requirements to be delivered as closed company events at your location or ours, whichever suits you and your employees.