This five-day instructor-led course teaches students how to design and implement a BI infrastructure. The course discusses design, installation. the course discusses design, installation, and maintenance of a BI platform. This course maps to skills and knowledge measured by Microsoft Exam 70-467, and in conjunction with on-the-job experience, can help prepare you for the exam.
Note: The Beta version of this course (20467AB) utilizes pre-release software in the virtual machine for the labs. Microsoft SQL Server 2012 SP1 CTP4, Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 Preview, Microsoft Office 2013 Preview, and Microsoft Visio 2013 Preview are used in this course.
- A basic understanding of dimensional modeling (star schema) for data warehouses.
- The ability to create Integration Services packages that include control flows and data flows.
- The ability to create a basic multidimensional cube with Analysis Services.
- The ability to create a basic tabular model with PowerPivot and Analysis Services.
- The ability to create Reporting Services reports with Report Designer.
- The ability to implement authentication and permissions in the SQL Server database engine, Analysis Services, and Reporting Services.
- Familiarity with SharePoint Server and Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel.
- Students who attend this training can meet the prerequisites by attending the following courses, or obtaining equivalent knowledge and skills:
- M10777: Implementing a Data Warehouse with Microsoft SQL Server 2012
- M10778: Implementing Data Models and Reports with Microsoft SQL Server 2012
Module 1: Planning a BI Solution
- Elements of a BI Solution
- Planning a BI Project
- The Microsoft BI Platform
Module 2: Planning a BI Infrastructure
- Planning a Data Warehouse Infrastructure
- Planning an ETL Infrastructure
- Planning Analysis Services Infrastructure
- Planning Reporting Services Infrastructure
Module 3: Designing a Data Warehouse
- Designing a Logical Schema
- Designing a Physical Schema
Module 4: Designing an ETL Solution
- Planning for Data Extraction
- Planning for Data Transformation
- Planning for Data Loading
- Planning for SSIS Package Deployment
Module 5: Designing Analytical Data Models
- Options for Analytical Models
- Data Model Design Considerations
Module 6: Planning a BI Delivery Solution
- Considerations for BI Delivery
- Choosing a Delivery Approach
Module 7: Designing a Reporting Services Solution
- Designing Reports
- Considerations for Report Execution
- Planning a Reporting Solution
Module 8: Designing an Excel-Based Reporting Solution
- Using Excel for Data Reporting and Analysis
- PowerPivot in Excel
- Power View in Excel
Module 9: Planning a SharePoint Server BI Solution
- Introduction to SharePoint Server as a BI Platform
- Planning Security for a SharePoint Server BI Solution
- Planning Reporting Services Configuration
- Planning PowerPivot Configuration
- Planning for PerformancePoint Services
Module 10: Monitoring and Optimizing a BI Solution
- Overview of BI Monitoring
- Monitoring and Optimizing the Data Warehouse
- Monitoring and Optimizing Analysis Services
- Monitoring and Optimizing Reporting Services
Module 11: Planning BI Operations
- Overview of BI Operations
- Automating ETL Tasks
- Post ETL Tasks
- Planning a Backup Strategy for a BI Solution
- Plan the components of a BI solution.
- Plan a BI infrastructure.
- Design a data warehouse.
- Design an ETL solution.
- Plan analytical data models.
- Plan a BI delivery solution.
- Design a Reporting Services solution.
- Design an Excel reporting solution.
- Plan a SharePoint Server BI solution.
- Monitor and optimize a BI solution.
- Plan for BI operations.
This course is intended for BI professionals such as BI Architects or database professionals who need to design BI solutions. BI Architects are responsible for the overall design of the BI infrastructure, including how it relates to other data systems in use. In addition, their responsibilities include Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) cube design and integration with Microsoft SharePoint or line-of-business applications. Finally, they may apply those skills in a Windows Azure SQL Server database environment.
- This course help prepare candidates for exam 70-467.
- Exam 70-467: Designing Business Intelligence Solutions with Microsoft SQL Server 2012: counts as credit toward the following certification(s):
- MCSE Business Intelligence
Company Event Schedule
Looking for onsite training?
We can deliver standard or tailored courses to your requirements to be delivered as closed company events at your location or ours, whichever suits you and your employees.