This two-day course provides students with advanced class-of-service (CoS) knowledge and configuration examples. The course begins with an overview of CoS before going into classification, policing, scheduling, and rewriting. The course then covers class-based forwarding and finishes with a case study. Through demonstrations and hands-on labs, students will gain experience in configuring and verifying Junos CoS features.
To gain the prerequisite skills and knowledge, Juniper strongly recommends the knowledge of the following courses:
- Junos Operating System (IJOS)
- Junos Routing Essentials (JRE)
- Junos Intermediate Routing (JIR)
- CoS History and Evolution
- CoS and DiffServe
- CoS Fields in Packet Headers
- CoS Processing
- Classification Overview
- Forwarding Classes and Packet Loss Priority
- Fixed Classification
- Multifield Classification
- Behavior Aggregate Classification
- Policing Overview
- Single-Rate Two-Color Policer
- Tricolor Marking Policers
- Application—Directly on an Interface
- Application—Within a Firewall Filter
- Scheduling Overview
- Transmission Rate
- Queue Priority
- Delay Buffers
- Drop Profiles and Drop Profile Maps
- Scheduling Configuration
- Hierarchical Scheduling Overview
- Scheduler Modes
- Hierarchical Scheduling Levels
- Throughput Example
- Remaining Traffic
- Queue Properties in a Hierarchical Scheduling Context
- Putting It All Together
- Packet Header Rewrite Overview
- Rewrite Rules and Tables
- Rewrite Combinations
- CBF Overview
- CBF Configuration
- VOIP Case Study Overview
- VOIP Case Study: Ingress Node
- VOIP Case Study: Transit and Egress Nodes
CoS Processing on M Series, T Series, and MX Series Devices:
- M Series and T Series Architecture
- M Series and T Series CoS Packet Handling
- IQ2 PIC CoS Packet Handling
- MX Series (DPC and MPC/MIC) Architecture and CoS Packet Handling
Upon completing this course, the learner will be able to meet these overall objectives:
- Understand the history and evolution of CoS.
- Identify the CoS fields in various packet headers.
- List the CoS processing stages on devices running the Junos OS.
- Identify the default CoS settings on devices running the Junos OS.
- Configure and verify behavior aggregate (BA) and multifield (MF) classification.
- Configure and verify two-color and tricolor marking policers.
- Configure and verify schedulers and their components.
- Configure and verify the multiple levels of hierarchical schedulers.
- Configure and verify packet header rewriting.
- Configure and verify class-based forwarding.
- Create a CoS configuration based on a set of design requirements.
This course is designed for:
- Individuals responsible for configuring and monitoring devices running the Junos OS, especially those in a service provider environment. It also benefits individuals responsible for designing networks containing devices running the Junos OS.
Recommended preparation for:
- JN0-660 - Juniper Networks Certified Internet Professional (JNCIP-SP)
Follow on Courses
- JMR - Junos Multicast Routing
- AJSPR - Advanced Junos Service Provider Routing
Company Event Schedule
Looking for onsite training?
We can deliver standard or tailored courses to your requirements to be delivered as closed company events at your location or ours, whichever suits you and your employees.